Friday, July 24, 2009

FIRST SIX MONTHS AS A MOM

I cannot believe that today is already here! My baby is officially six months old today. In honor of her half birthday I made a list of the top ten things I have learned as a new mom.


  1. NEWBORNS EAT NONSTOP
    One of my very first surprises was that all the books, classes, and nurses tell you that your newborn should eat every 2 hours. What they don't explain is that they mean your baby should not go MORE than 2 hours without eating. I was in for a shock when we got home and my new baby wanted to eat every 30 minutes. I just kept saying, " but it's hasn't been 2 hours yet!".

  2. YOUR BODY TRULY WILL NEVER BE THE SAME
    Just because you lose the baby weight it does NOT mean that your body will be the same. I lost my baby weight fairly easily and have been struggling for 6 months to get rid of my mushy tummy. I just don't think it will ever be the same...

  3. YOU HAVE TO TEACH YOUR BABY TO SLEEP IN A CRIB
    I will never forget our first night home from the hospital. I remember putting a sleeping gown on my baby and then swaddling her up all tight for bed time. My husband and I pushed her nice new bassinet over by the bed and gently laid her in it so we could all go to sleep. She immediately starting screaming and crying. I still laugh now that we thought that this brand new little person would seriously want to sleep all by herself in a box and that we somehow thought she would do this her first night home.

  4. OUTFIT SELECTION IS BASED ON NURSING ACCESSIBILITY
    As a nursing mom, I learned pretty quickly that my clothing now has to be based on ease of feeding my baby. It's not exactly the most fun way to choose an outfit, but it's a must. Half of my clothes are now reserved exclusively for date nights and mom's nights out.

  5. ALL BABIES DROOL
    I will admit it; drool, snot and food on the face disgusts me. I remember being pregnant and saying that my baby wouldn't be one of the gross drooly ones. I have now come to realize that ALL babies drool when teething. There is no getting around this one! However, on my own child it is somehow not nearly as gross.

  6. SLEEPING IN IS NO LONGER AN OPTION
    That's right! When your baby wakes up, so must you! I am NOT a morning person but have learned to embrace waking every morning at 6:30. ICK!

  7. MY BABY'S GIGGLES ARE THE BEST
    The first time I ever heard my baby laugh it made me cry profusely. Yes, I am very emotional these days but it was truly the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. Whenever I hear those giggles it makes everything so worth it and nothing else in the world matters.

  8. DON'T WASTE MONEY ON TOYS
    No matter how many exciting or colorful toys you buy your baby, they will always prefer things like water bottles and the crinkly bags baby wipes come in. My baby's favorite thing by far is the label on her activity gym. It's filled with toys, colors, music, and lights and all she wants to do is touch the label. Go figure.

  9. MY BABY ALREADY LOVES ME
    I knew from the beginning that I would love my baby. What I didn't expect though was that she would love me back so quickly. The way she looks at me truly makes my heart sing. She looks at me with so much in her eyes, it's like I am everything. And to her I guess I am.

  10. DIAPERS CHANGE
    Along with a great dislike for drool I was not looking forward to diaper changing. In fact, my baby's diapers were the first I ever changed myself! The first few months were not so bad and I thought I had the hang of it. Then we started solid foods and I hear it only gets worse from here!

    That's my list of surprises as a new mom. Please feel free to add yours to the comments below!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these top 10. You have it so right especially the diaper changes after solids. Great Blog:)